Hi there! My name is Alina and I will be bringing you current news from one of the countries located in Africa’s Horn: Ethiopia. I am excited to learn more about this beautiful country and to help you get acquainted, I am listing some facts about Ethiopia below:
- Founded in 980BC, Ethiopia is Africa’s oldest independent country.
- Ethiopia is the only country in Africa that was never formally colonized. It had to fight off the Italians twice to earn this title.
- Ethiopia is the only country in the world to use a 12-hour clock system. Midday (12:00PM, Noon) is 6:00 in local time. Similarly, 7:00AM is 1:00.
- The Ethiopian calendar has 13 months. This puts it 7-8 years behind the Western calendar.
- Coffee was first discovered by an Ethiopian goat herder in the Kaffa region when he noticed his goats dancing after eating leaves off a coffee plant.
- The oldest human remains were found in Ethiopia. More than 50 million years old, they are believed to be the earliest ancestors of humans.
- More than 70% of Africa’s mountains are found in Ethiopia. It is sometimes referred to as “the Roof of Africa”.
Finn, S. (n.d.). Ethiopia Map Flag Rotating On Stock Footage Video (100% Royalty-free) 2755037. Retrieved January 21, 2019, from https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-2755037-ethiopia-map-flag-rotating-on-black-animation
Kuligowski, T. (2016, October 12). 67 Random Facts about Ethiopia. Retrieved January 21, 2019, from https://www.factretriever.com/ethiopia-facts
New Guide to Coffee Production in Ethiopia presented in Addis Ababa. (2017, September 06). Retrieved January 21, 2019, from https://www.comunicaffe.com/new-guide-to-coffee-production-in-ethiopia-presented-in-addis-ababa/